English Language / Literature
Examination Board: AQA
What is the aim of the course?
The course aims to develop your skills in:
- Expressing your ideas and opinions confidently and clearly through written, and spoken, mediums
- Reading and responding with understanding to a range of texts
- Writing for a variety of purposes and audiences
- Engaging and developing responses to a range of Literature
What will you study in this subject?
- You will range read and study a range of texts including modern and 19th Century fiction, media, the plays of Shakespeare and modern and pre-20th Century poetry
- You will have the opportunity to write for a range of purposes
- You will also be involved in a range of speaking and listening activities, culminating in an assessed presentation and discussion
What skills will you use in this course?
- Analysing and interpreting tests and writer’s techniques
- Writing to argue, persuade and inform, explain and describe
How will your work be assessed?
Your progress will be monitored and supported with regular assessments and homework tasks. Both GCSEs, English Language and Literature, are 100% exam assessed. At the end of the course in Year 11 you will sit the following exams to achieve a grade in both subjects.
- Paper 1 (50%): Explorations in Creative Reading and Writing
- Paper 2 (50%): Writers’ Viewpoints and Perspectives
- Paper 1 (40%): Shakespeare and the 19th Century Novel
- Paper 2 (60%): Modern Texts and Poetry
An internal assessment, involving a presentation and discussion.
What Qualification will I get?
- GCSE English Language
- GCSE English Literature
- Spoken Language Certificate
For additional information, please contact: Ms H. Matharu