Art: Fine Art
Examination Board: AQA
What is the aim of the course?
Fine Art enables you to explore a wide range of Art disciplines such as drawing, painting, printing, sculpture, photography, lens based media and textiles. In Year 10 the emphasis is to extend your knowledge of artists and develop drawing skills alongside other practices over 2 projects Environment and Self. These skills will further a students levels of independence and understanding. In the second year of the course students will work independently on projects leading up to their final examination.
In order to succeed in Fine Art you need to demonstrate competent drawing skills, creativity and commitment. You will also need to be highly independent as an integral part of coursework requires you to use your initiative and form your own opinions.
What will you study in this subject?
- be able to draw from first hand and secondary sources showing skill.
- be able to research and document your own experiences.
- be creative and imaginative when exploring different art media and processes, showing an ability to reflect on your outcomes and improve work where necessary.
- be able to develop ideas that have been inspired by other cultures, artists, designers and crafts people.
- be able to visually and in written form explain the connections that you can see between your work and the work of established artists.
- how to produce a final piece of work for each project that shows a clear story of where you started and how you arrived at this conclusive piece.
How is your work assessed?
Coursework is worth 60% of your final grade and starts from the beginning of the course in Year 10, right through until you take your exam in Year 11. You will be expected to complete a minimum of two coursework projects.
The exam unit is externally set with a choice of 7 starting points and is worth 40% of your final grade.
Students will also have opportunities to visit museums and galleries and work with practicing artists on special projects in order to support their school studies.
What Qualification will I get?
- GCSE Art and Design— Fine Art
For additional information, please contact: Mr P. Scott